Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a problem with the board of nursing, i agreed to

Customer Question
I have a problem...

I have a problem with the board of nursing, i agreed to follow an order for addiction evaluation and completed eval. but the cost of treatment is too high and i am willing to go but they wont let me go anywhere but the rehabs on their list and all cost too much. i am out of work currently

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What are you referring to

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, the rehab i did the eval at gave me no options, either 6 weeks treatment or surrender my license. i also think that walgreens provided my prescription history to board without my consent

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/10/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Thank you very much for your patience on this. as a condition of being in VDAP in Alabama, they require that you, "Utilize only Board-approved treatment providers, counselors, drug screening services, etc., to which you are referred. Approval of any services must be determined PRIOR to their use." There's nothing specific that says that the board has to allow you to take a cheaper alternative if the ones they provide are too expensive. It is probable that unless the state says that you're allowed an exception, they may force you to pay. It is possible that you could argue that this violates the state constitution against cruel and unusual punishment if the treatment centers are so pricey that it'd be impossible for anyone to participate. You may want to work with them to see if there is a cheaper program that they will approve.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

I have to surrender my licence because I have no money?

I wouldn't simplify it to that degree. The requirements of this program suggests that you can only go to approved facilities; however, if you don't have a reasonable opportunity to pay for any of them, then this could be a reason to get at least some exception to choose a facility that fits within your costs. It doesn't appear as if the board of nursing is required to consider this though, but in my experience, they're often willing to at least consider your plea if you find a facility that is affordable and would serve the same purpose as the ones they have chosen.

I tried, they said I can only go to board approved facilities. Do they get money for this?

I couldn't tell you that for sure whether they receive money. It is probable that they do not because it would probably be an illegal to force people to go through the program and in exchange for the state getting money. It's considered bribery or at least an illegal kickback. There are also options you may be able to work out like a payment plan, you can see if they have any credit options, there's friends/family, and there's also a chance for you to simply be billed and pay it later. I'm very sorry to hear about your situation.