Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

What can an employee do if HR is taking termination steps…

Customer Question
What can an employee...

What can an employee do if HR is taking termination steps for issues related to FMLA?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

HR is doing the investigations and requesting information FMLA leave that cannot be explained without illness specifics. HR states not to disclose medical information. After that the illness relapsed massively and tried to work though it, but left because the sickness was too severe. A second issue arose where there was someone who perceived impairment. This was over a week later with no way of proving it was illness. This is clearly leading to termination, but how should an employee handle this? There may not be a legal right to prevent termination, but there seems to be a hindrance in being able to provide proof, or asking for information in a way that could be used against the employee with no way of the employee proving innocence. Example: A perceived impairment when testing cannot prove there was no impairment, but then requesting all medications. What is an employee’s rights? Is there anyway of not allowing information requested in a way that could be used against an employee with no way for the employee to prove innocence due to time or specific medical information?

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It is an at will fulltime.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just wanting to know how to proceed to ensure employee is providing information truthfully and cooperate without it being used in retaliation.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/10/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Expert Justin, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Expert Justin

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. Can you please clarify: are you working right now or are you still on FMLA leave?

Intermittent leave.

I see you requested a phone call, but payment failed. Would you like to try a different payment method?

I signed for a free trial that would include a call but I’m not able to use the unclaimed offer.
Tina, Lawyer