Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

This is about employment law. No, that is not necessary or…

Customer Question
This is about employment...

This is about employment law.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

No, that is not necessary or pertinent.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time and our contract does include a non compete clause

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The company has offered to find jobs for us locally and some of my coworkers mumbled things about displacement and the like. I would like to know how similar the job must be and if indeed that is linked to the noncompete clause. It does not specify this in the noncompete section of the contract so is the company obligated to find us jobs within the company at the same schedule, salary, driving distance in order to be in some sort of "compliance" with labor laws?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/10/2017
Employment Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 6 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. What type of business is it?

It is an anesthesia provider group who has lost a contract with a hospital.

Okay. Developing a response. Hold, please.

Thanks for the additional information. The noncompete would be limited to you working for another group that is basically going after the same client base. However, because the client base can be rather broad, the noncompete clause would be more enforceable only if you were attempting to get the same clients from the current group. A noncompete clause cannot be overly broad to prevent someone from working.

Separately, a company that is laying someone off is not legally obligated to find the employees jobs. So, if your current company is attempting to find placement for you, that is a nonobligatory action it is taking.

If this is unclear, or you have additional questions, just let me know. I can continue to assist you.

my understanding is that the noncompete and moving employees into other jobs is apples and oranges, if you will.
There is no case for "displacement" with regard to the noncompete.

Yes. That is correct. The noncompete clause and displacement are separate. The only possible way it would be tied together is if that were the terms of the written agreement.

If you have further questions, just let me know. I can continue to assist you. Otherwise, I have been happy to help you with your questions.

Hello again:

Do you have any further questions? I am happy to continue answering your questions. Just let me know.

If you are satisfied with my services to you, please provide a rating between 3 and 5 stars at no additional to you charge so I can get paid for the services I provided to you. Thank you.

Hello again Maggie:

Just checking whether you got all that you needed from Just Answer. If so, let me know. if not, let me know. Thank you.