Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I've been a resident of Tennessee for over 20 years. Among…

Customer Question
I've been a resident of...
I've been a resident of Tennessee for over 20 years. Among the jobs I held, I worked for an employer, resigned from my position, but was awarded unemployment compensation benefits
During these months, I was paid over $14,000, which I needed to live on because I was unemployed.
My former employer appealed this decision and reversed the award.
My departure from the employer occurred in 2008.
The decision of the TN Dept of Labor was reversed in the employer's favor in 2009.
On Monday, December 4, I received a letter demanding payment of that which was awarded to me 8 years ago.
Isn't there a statute of limitations in Tennessee that disallows creditors to seek remuneration? I believe it is 6 years.
I called the number (verified to be a TN Dept of Labor telephone number, did not commit to anything, but they stated I would receive a return call to discuss repayment. The three calls originated from an unrecognized number (not the TN Dept of Labor number).
I did not answer the phone.
Is it possible the TN Bureau of Employment Security was audited recently and hired a collection agency?
In view of what seems to be a valid statute of limitations necessitating collections must be made within 6 years, do I need to respond? Am I liable for repayment of part or all of the compensation that I was initially awarded?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/9/2017
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 4 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Your Questions:

Response 1: Unfortunately, there is no Statute of Limitations on unemployment overpayments. The payment is due until paid in full or collected from future benefits or discharged as part of a bankruptcy case. See Tennessee Code Title 50 Chapter 7 Part 3 Section 50-7-304(C)(2)(B) and Title 50 Chapter 7 Part 4 Section 50-7-404(b).

I did not answer the phone.

Response 2: You need to call the number again to see if you have better luck.

Response 3: It is possible. It is also possible that they have a new computer system that is keeping better track of the overpayments.

In view of what seems to be a valid statute of limitations necessitating collections must be made within 6 years, do I need to respond?

Response 4: Unfortunately, you are mistaken. There is no Statute of Limitations on unemployment overpayments. So, you need to respond to the notice.

Am I liable for repayment of part or all of the compensation that I was initially awarded?

Response 5: Regrettably, all of it.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law