Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was requested to go to a meeting which was an

Customer Question
interrogation regarding misappropriation of funds...
I was requested to go to a meeting which was an interrogation regarding misappropriation of funds. The 2 ladies who conducted the interview were vague about who they were and after 3 hours I was escorted out of work with a paid week off. I contacted loss prevention today since it has been a week with no contact and was told to return Monday. I asked if the investigation was over and if I am cleared. I was told it was still ongoing. I found out later the 2 ladies who interrogated me are lawyers yet led me to believe they were auditors. Was this legal? I am innocent yet I am concerned about returning to work as I feel I was l misled and lied too.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/8/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear about this unpleasant situation and I don't blame you at all for being upset. That said, nothing you have described suggests any illegal conduct on the part of your employer or the lawyers who interrogated you. They were not required to state who they were or what their exact purpose was. "Auditor" is not a term that has any specific legal significance, it is just a term that described someone investigating records and finances for discrepancies. An attorney can certainly be an "auditor" in this sense.

I'm afraid all you can do is continue cooperating with your employer and try to have some trust in your employer that their investigation will uncover the truth and that you will be exonerated from any suspicion of wrongdoing.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Was there anything else I can do for you?

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer