Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I need assistance on unemployment benefit qualifications. I…

I need assistance on...

I need assistance on unemployment benefit qualifications.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

I am in a weird situation. I worked for a detroit property management company that lost the building I worked at due to the sale of the building. That was 12/4/2001. The property management company I worked for has now dissolved and a new company formed. They new company offered me employment at another building in detroit. If I do not like their employment package or working environment would that disqualify me to collect benefits. My former employer said he would fight it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It was at will

12/8/2017
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Tough question. But ultimately I would have to be of the opinion you probably wouldn't get benefits. To get benefits you'd have to be able to prove that this new employment package and work environment is not suitable employment for you. Generally, what constitutes unsuitable employment is something well out of your skill range, not within your salary range i.e. substantially lower, a position and that's very far away, substantially different hours etc. I would add to this, that while it used to be much easier to get unemployment benefits in Michigan, it's just not as easy as it used to be. In other words, the administrative law judges that appear to be favoring employers in a much higher rate. You stated they did not like the employment package for the working environment. Obviously there's a lot involved in that, but you generally have to prove the pay was 20% less or more than previous and, with regard to the working environment, it would have to be more than just not liking the people of the place… It would have to be a change in terms and conditions of employment such as hours , benefits etc. Given all the above, my opinion is you couldn't definitively state that you would surely get benefits if you were to not accept this new position.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

i am satisfied with John's answer to my question. It enabled me to make aore informed decision.

You're welcome. Please leave a positive rating before you exit this chat as it is the only way I get credit for my answers. If you have any questions in the future regarding this matter come back to this thread and I'll be happy to answer. Thanks and good luck with the matter.

John, Employment Lawyer
John, Employment Lawyer