Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Hardcopy records employer is required to keep and manage,

Customer Question
Hardcopy records employer is...

Hardcopy records employer is required to keep and manage, that I have been told I have to download from a website, and print myself. do I have a right to at least of copy of those records at the employers expense?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not sure

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/8/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unfortunately, Texas law does not require employers to grant employees access to their personnel files at all. Since any access is completely discretionary on the part of the employer, the employer is free to determine the manner in which an employee's personnel file will be made available. This means the employer is free to require the employee to download and print these records rather than printing the records for the employee and billing the employee for the cost.

I hope this helps. If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup because this question was still open and I have not heard back from you. Was there anything more I can do to assist you? Did you get a chance to review my answer to your question? Please let me know....