Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for an India-based corporation. On a regular basis,

Customer Question
I work for an...

I work for an India-based corporation. On a regular basis, via corporate e-mail, I am invited to partake in celebrations, conferences, contests and voluntary educational benefits. Specifically, I received an e-mail saying I was eligible to partake in a Sigma Six set of courses based on my job level. The link to register did not work. I e-mailed the division that made the offer and was told there were no classes in my location. Benefits not available at my location (Des Moines, Iowa), seems to be standard answer yet I continue to receive offers to partake in these voluntary benefits. Is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in Iowa

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/8/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

There is no law saying they cannot send out the notices to everyone regardless of location and if there is nothing available at your location then you could not attend. So, the division just sends a blanket email to everyone regardless of their location and some people are eligible based on location and others are not. However, it is not illegal for them to do so and it is corporate email so they can send what they like via corporate email to any employee.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.