Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

The firm my husband works for is claimning they applied the…

Customer Question
The firm my husband...

The firm my husband works for is claimning they applied the wrong percentage to his bonuses since March 2016 and that he now has to repay 87,000! does he have any recourse?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It must be at will. there is no contract and no union full time salary. the arrangement regarding bonus percentages was agreed to generally in an email

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/8/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. In your state, if an employer overpays an employee for any reason at all, the employee is liable re reimburse the employer for the overpayment amount. The employer must notify the employee of the overpayment in writing; after he does so, he has the right to take collection against the employee. Future garnishment of paychecks is allowed; however, the employer cannot have the employee go below minimum wage or below the promised regular amount of pay.
If the employee has trouble with this matter, the employee then has 20 days to dispute the validity or amount of the debt. If the employee does not do so, the employer may begin withholding a portion of the employee's wages to pay off the debt to recover the remaining amount.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?