Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have been released from my position and it is now over a…

Customer Question
I have been released...

I have been released from my position and it is now over a month and they have not paid my last weeks pay, vacation or reimbursed for expense reports. I continue to get emails stating they will be paying me soon. Now the employer is also difficult to get in touch with.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I was working outside the USA in the Bahamas but paid through a company in Miami Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time, no union and agree does allow the employer to release me at any time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes the termination was requested by the hotels Board of Directors and they called it termination with cause based on Gross Negligence as our Corp. Office helped us find an issue with excessive voided checks in the restaurant and board felt I should have found this earlier.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/8/2017
Employment Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good morning. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today
Great! I need help as my employer continues to delay funds that are clearly owed to me. How do I find a great lawyer whom I can afford to take legal action?
If you have not been paid on your regular payday after leaving a job, and efforts to remedy the situation with your former employer have failed, contact the Florida Department of Labor (DOL), Wage and Hour Division office to file a complaint. A DOL official will assist you with the process.Since Florida is silent as to last paycheck rules, the Fair Labor Standards Act regarding minimum wage laws, overtime and recordkeeping duties must be adhered to. The Wage and Hour Division enforces the FLSA for covered employees. Basic wage laws require employers to pay its employees the minimum hourly wage rate and overtime pay for work performed in excess of 40 hours weekly.Here is a link to the US Department of Kabir to file a complaint.https://www.dol.gov/whd/america2.htmAlso here is a link to the Florida Department of Labor.Contact the Florida Agency for Workforce Innovation by telephone by calling(###) ###-####The FLSA places a duty on employers to retain wage and hour records for the purposes of determining overtime pay compensation. Failure to pay the covered employee the hourly minimum wage amount may lead to civil fines assessed upon employers. Further violations may even lead to prison time.I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars.
To find a Florida Attorney who specializes in wage disputes and wrongful termination contact the Florida Bar Association. Here is a linkhttps://www.floridabar.org
I am trying to get onto floridabar.org but nothing is coming up?
I need a lawyer in Florida to insist that my company paid the funds that are due to me.Where do I begin looking for this?
Another excellent way to find an experienced local attorney is at Avvo.Here is a link. Just put employment in the search area with your City and state.I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question
If you have any other questions please just ask
I see the link didn’t attach. Here it is againhttps://www.avvo.com/?utm_medium=sem&utm_source=google&utm_content=brand&network=g&device=m&keyword=%2Bavvo&matchtype=b&creative=190585681431&adposition=1t1&k_clickid=_kenshoo_clickid_&utm_campaign=brand&campaignid=737527139&adgroupid=38701760855&c3api=3040,190585681431,%2Bavvo&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzoyRzPj61wIVj7XACh1wQQnmEAAYASAAEgIUlPD_BwE