Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can you receive your retirement early under hardship

Customer Question
Can you receive your...

Can you receive your retirement early under hardship situation for settlement of divorcing my wife

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Im not sure what yiu mean

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How long does it take to receive money from my stocks to convert them into cash value to the woman im divorcing.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Want to pay lump sum in divorce, stocks would be my only option. Paying monthly payments would be impossible financially . But if can use how long would it take to convert stocks to usable money for spouse
I no longer work for the company. I was fired in 2006 and was allowed to keep stocks to have access to when I retire at retirement age I do not know for sure what that age is exactly. Dont know if that makes a difference
Sorry I forgot to tell you that sooner. I was full time for almost 13 years
12/8/2017
Employment Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney
Retirement age for the purposes of withdrawing funds from a qualified retirement plan or account without tax penalties is age 59 and 1/2. But there are ways to withdraw funds earlier without penalty. The primary way is to annuitize the funds. This means taking amounts in portions in a certain formula so it is taken each year based on your life expectancy.
You would want to consult a financial adviser for this. Another way is to roll the funds into an annuity.
Kind regards,
Gerald