Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work as a teacher at a private school for boys it is a…

Customer Question
I work as a...

I work as a teacher at a private school for boys it is a level 3 residential school. I ahve worked there for a year now. I have been sick quite a bit I have severe ostioartritis I have told them about my disability diagnosis. due to being over treated with steroids, I have no immune system at all. I caught pneumonia. I left work early to go to the doctor I was late getting there so they told me to reschedule

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Tennessee I had a doctors note not to return to work til monday. I called my supervisor and told him what the doctor note said. when I went to work monday he suspended me a whole day without pay because I was absent those 3 days i told him I had doctoers orders not to come if I would of come You would of had to send me home because i was there against doctors orders I gave him the note and he still suspended me a day without poay. I work here teachiing a group of boys that are gang members court ordered to be there. They only pay me 35000 a year and I wwas told I would get 39000 he just hired a support staff member a man and I heard him say well all I could pay you is 19 dollars an hour/ I was working in the lounge next to his office. a woman came in and he told her all he could pay her is 14 dollars an hour it is for the same job. I was told My pay was based on my degree and years of experience. I told this new director that my pay was not negotiated right I ahve 20 years experience and started my doctorate alll the men at this place make more money. That support staff worker he is giving 19 dollars an hour to is making more than me

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

The director that was there when I hired in didnt understand what my EDS degree was it is a full degree above the masters degree. She negotiated my pay based on a bachelors degree There is a page on our work web that when i get my page up it states that I have a bachelors degree

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I thjink suspending me a day without pay when I was told by a doctor not to go to work is wrong and I think that they duscriminate against women with pay at this place

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/8/2017
Employment Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

At this point, my suggestion is to submit a complaint about this issue in writing to your school HR function. This creates a record in case a future government agency investigation or lawsuit ensues. Next with respect to the wage issue here is where you can file a complaint. https://tn.gov/workforce/topic/employee-rights

The Hr dept is best friends with my director lol we don’t stand a chance suspending me a day for being out on doctors orders is not illegal are you saying that he did no wrong I thought you were going to tell me the Legal aspect

That is fine. We still have to give them legal notice in writing. If they fire you then you can file for unemployment under a retaliation claim. any court or government agency deems this as the first step. The HR rep's failure to address it only adds to your claim.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer