Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a felony on my record. It is under 1 year old. When…

Customer Question
I have a felony on...
I have a felony on my record. It is under 1 year old. When asked on a job resume if I have a felony I put yes. If they ask for details what would the best response I could give them to not scare them away? I do not know how much detail to give and how little to give. Can someone provide me with a answer?Details involving case 26 days incarcerated. 5 years probation... Charged with Terroristic Threats in New Jersey. I applied to Amazon they did the background check and that was written on the copy they gave me.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/7/2017
Employment Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. For a charge like this, you may want to explain the situation in detail, since the title of the charge would likely scare someone away. If you can explain this and present it in a way, as to not make them think you are a threat or liability, they may consider hiring you. Since you are interacting and dealing with other people you do not want this to be presented in a way that shows you could be a danger to the workplace or do something to create concern.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

I would like you to write what you would put on a job application if asked to provide details. What I can tell you is My girlfriend attempted suicide that day and went to the ER. I was already suffering from alcoholism and did what i knew best drink. I made threatening comments to my mother. She did Not press charges, but the state picked up the charges. I went to a 90 day rehab which i successfully completed and paid on my own. If you can word that for me professionally that would be exactly what I need. thank you

I am sorry but that is outside the scope of what the site allows and I can not do that.

that is exactly what my question was. Freedom of Press.
what you wrote to me is telling me to be cautious, it was not the answer i was looking for. I am already cautious, I have a learning disorder that is why I need help with what to write when asked "please explain"
Employment Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I AM A DIFFERENT EXPERT ON THE SITE. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does NOT constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

There pretty much isn't anything you could say that would sound as intimidating as "Terroristic Threats" so explaining what you explained to us - in almost exactly the way you explained it to us would work. I maybe wouldn't add that part about the alcoholism (it doesn't help you and it's not their business) and doing what you knew best (drink) - because it just doesn't add anything.

So maybe something like this:

------------------------

My girlfriend of ____ years/months attempted suicide that day and went to the ER. I was extremely distressed and had been drinking. At some point in the day I made was was interpretted as threatening comments to my mother. She did not press charges but I was charged nonetheless. I went to a 90 day rehab program which I successfully completed and even paid for on my own. I have put that time period in my life past me and I hope you will provide me with an opportunity to prove myself to you.

------------------------

Please let me know if I've answered your question. Could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question (assuming you don't need any clarification - but definitely ask if you do!) so that I receive credit for working with you. It does NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively (3, 4, 5 stars - 5 stars ★★★★★ is definitely appreciated!). If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your questions.

Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, as I see you have asked for a different contributor again.

Quite honestly, as someone who represents employers, I certainly would not tell a prospective employer you got drunk and were overly upset over your girlfriend. Admitting to becoming verbally loud or abusive when drinking is not good for an employer.

However, what you can tell employers is that your girlfriend attempted suicide and you were highly concerned about her and upset and at the hospital you were so upset that they could not calm you down over her attempt to kill herself and you became loud.

You are not lying to them, but you are leaving out the parts about alcohol causing you to engage in the behavior AND everyone could understand being upset with your girlfriend or wife or child or family member trying to kill themselves, it gives you more sympathy really to put it to the employer that you were highly upset over your girlfriend and became loud.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.