Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Im a tricky situation at work and want to know when is a…

Customer Question
Im a tricky situation...

Im a tricky situation at work and want to know when is a good time to secure a lawyer I have an appointment with the EEOC in my local area but it's in late January

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will, full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well Im on a PIP now that's very vague so I want to try to leave soon instead of leaving at the end of it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/7/2017
Employment Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 4 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. What do you want to know, i.e. what is your question, please?

I've worked for my company for over 9 yrs, had about 4 other supervisors and never had issues. My current supervisor has been bullying me for sometime and finally put me on a PIP. The PIP is very vague and doesn't have specific measurable goals plus I don't really see how I can continue working with him. I've complained about his treatment several times and nothing was done about it. Now he's hiring an all men team and has hired 5 men back to back in a team of 8

Okay. Do you feel that this is being done because you are female or a minority? Be specific, please.

Im not the only female that feels there's a double standard how females get treated. Men don't get reprimanded when speaking out and half the issues on my PIP is directed towards a negative attitude when we're invited to speak out

Okay. Well of course, if you can show that there is a pattern of discrimination against women, then this is unlawful under federal law. This is known as sex discrimination. Sex discrimination involves treating an employee employee unfavorably because of that person's sex. This is under:

If so, someone in your situation can file a complaint with the EEOC and begin the process.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

at what point would you suggest I retain a lawyer?

Immediately. Even before filing the EEOC claim, if possible. This is because an attorney would help ensure that this is done in a way to optimize your chances of success.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

are you in Texas? what do you charge to review my case and documents?

I am in Texas, indeed.

But you may be better off getting an attorney to take the case from beginning to end, on a contingency.

Ely, Counselor at Law