Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was hired at Target and began work on 10/8 as a cashier. I…

Customer Question
I was hired at...

I was hired at Target and began work on 10/8 as a cashier. I was terminated on 11/5 because I was told they were overstaffed. On 11/5 I worked 3-7 with another cashier who told me it was her first day to work without another cashier's help. I understand that the probation period was 90 or 120 days (I don't remember). I was not even given the opportunity to work out that period. Also, why was it another cashier's first day and my last?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Part time

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/7/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unfortunately, the rule in PA is that employment is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.

Since employers don't need any reason at all to terminate someone, the law does not require them to give the true reason if they give a reason at all. Sometimes employers will give a false reason as a way of letting an employee down easy, or to avoid an argument. Whatever their motivation, though, it is not illegal and you would not have any recourse through the court system unless you could somehow prove that you were really let go because of a legally protected trait, or activity, as defined above.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.