Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

WE ARE THINKING ABOUT ESTABLISHING A MATERNITY LEAVE POLICY…

Customer Question
WE ARE THINKING ABOUT...

WE ARE THINKING ABOUT ESTABLISHING A MATERNITY LEAVE POLICY FOR EMPLOYEES WHO HAVE NOT WORKED FOR US THE 12 MONTHS REQUIRED UNDER FMLA. DO YOU HAVE ANY EXAMPLES?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

TENNESSEE

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

AT WILL

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/7/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Here is a sample parental leave policy: https://womenemployed.org/sites/default/files/resources/ParentalLeaveModelPolicy.pdf

It is called "parental leave" but you can change it to be a maternity leave policy and rename it. The terms can also be modified for those employees who do not qualify for FMLA leave (you cannot change terms for those who qualify for FMLA unless you plan on giving more than what FMLA provides).

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.