Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a boss that has been sexually harassing me, or so I…

Customer Question
I have a boss...

I have a boss that has been sexually harassing me, or so I think, I can't really find answers as to whether it is sexual harrasing but it places me in a hostile situation for sure. What he is asking of me, I cannot do, and as a result he has begun sabatoging my projects. Any advise?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maine

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I dont think so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/7/2017
Employment Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 8 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. I am sorry to hear about what you are going through.

Unwelcome sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination that violates the Maine Human Rights Act. Unwanted sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, or other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature which threatens job security, working conditions, or advancement opportunities is considered sexual harassment. (Section 3.06 I of the Commission’s Employment Regulations appears on the back of this brochure.)

Following are some examples of sexual harassment.

Susan

Susan recently took a job in the skilled trades. The men on the job make lewd sexual remarks and refuse to cooperate with Susan on job assignments. They tell her if she’s “so good” she can do the job herself. She finds obscene messages pasted to her locker, her work bench, and in her tool kit. Her supervisor suggests if she can’t “take a little fun” she should transfer to a new assignment.

June

June worked as a sales person at a retail establishment. Two male co-workers tell dirty jokes of a sexual nature to her and make lewd remarks. She tried to ignore the comments by walking away. The verbal comments increased, and one co-worker began to touch her in sexually suggestive ways. June complained to her manager, who said he “would take care of it”, but the harassment became worse over the next few weeks. June felt forced to leave her employment.

Joan

Joan works in a company as a custodial worker. She has been employed only a short time when a male co-worker begins making obscene sexual remarks to her. She tells him to leave her alone, and he reacts by forcing her into a locker room to cooperate with his sexual demands. She complains to her supervisor, but her supervisor tells her that he can’t do anything and that she should “work it out.” The next day Joan is subjected to the same verbal and physical threats.

Sam works for a firm in Sales and has to travel to other cities with his boss. The boss wants to share a hotel room “to save the company some money.” When Sam refuses she tells him to stop “acting like a baby” and “smarten up”. She later gives him a poor performance evaluation, and he is terminated shortly afterward.

As such, you can speak with HR or the owner of the company and document this in writing. You can also retain an employment law attorney to represent you and they could sue if needed.

Well I was already aware of that, I was curious whether my particular situation actually was protected as sexual harassment or hostile work environment.

What happened?

i am responsible for human resources hiring of international students as employees. I travel overseas and with a sponsor recruit and interview them.We receive a lot of inbound job inquires from students who ar eseeking employment.My boss calls me into hos office and demands that I instead hire the students that he has gone to their facebook or socail pages and based on pictures of them partially nuse or bra and panties or g string. I have told him on multiple occasions I cannot do that, He is the son of the owner of a large company. I have no higher up to talk to

Thank you. I think this is something that could fall into possible both categories. This is not something he should be showing you and telling you to hire this applicant based upon and it could rise to a form/level of sexual harassment. Moreover, if he is giving you tasks and jobs which are not possible to perform, you want to document this as well in case they try and use this to terminate you. You can speak with the owner and advise them of this and with anyone else in HR and retain counsel if you are subject to this harassment by him and the sexual conduct.

the second part to this is becaue I would not hire based on their sexualized online photos and hired through the correct practice of interviewing, he has now began sabatoging the program I am responsible and cursing at me and calling me stupid and telling me to take the himan resources title off of my cards and emails and that he will just do the hiring himself. I am now working alone inthe same office with him and it is very hostile. What can I do NOW

Yes, if it is hostile, you can file a complaint with the State. http://www.maine.gov/ag/about/harrassment_policy.html

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!