Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was put on 60 day probation for work performance without…

Customer Question
I was put on 60...
I was put on 60 day probation for work performance without verbal warning noe HR will not respond to my emails about harassment what are my rights?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/7/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Good evening and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

When you say you are being "harassed" can you elaborate? Are you being attacked based on your race, religion, disability or something along those lines?

I am the claims mgr got 100 on all reviews he disagrees with the way we handle this program he will not provide procedures has held my checks for three weeks not going out since 60 day will not respond to my emails did not have my two week review comes up now with corrections we never discussed before talks to me raises voice on conference calls I notified HR in august they never addressed it now it could be retaliation if they talked to him. Emailed HR again she replied did you get my meeting invite to SST aside an hour to talk I replied no rdsend again please because she didn't send it so I don't understand why HR is not responding either

Thank you.

Unfortunately, the law does not prohibit this sort of harassment. In general, no law prohibits employers from being rude, disrespectful, raising their voices, etc. Harassment only violates the law when there are direct threats of physical violence, or when the harassment relates to legally protected traits such as race or religion (i.e. yelling racial slurs at you) in which case it becomes actionable under our civil rights laws.

You are describing an extremely unpleasant and unprofessional manager, but not one engaging in illegal activity. As for the sudden probation, employment in SC is "at will" absent an agreement to the contrary, which means you can be terminated at any time for virtually any reason, regardless of what is fair, reasonable or even true. The law does not regulate probation because that would make no sense when the employer already possesses the power to simply terminate the employment. All you can do, I'm afraid, is continue trying to work with HR and attempt to resolve things on a personal level with your new supervisor. I am very sorry.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Tina, Lawyer