Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a question about what my manager did to me. North…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about what my manager did to me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I am a seasonal employee

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They took a picture of me texting and are showing it to other employees during their status checks and telling them I am the reason cell phones need to be put away now. Thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/7/2017
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 7 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with extensive labor law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

What is your question?

I work for belks as a seasonal employee. My manager took a picture of me without my permission using my cell phone and showed another associate in my department. Every month each employee gets a status check privately in their office and my manager showed this coworker the picture of me and said you already know who is always on their phone in a negative manner. She then proceeded to insinuate I was the reason for our department now getting stricter on their cell phone use. Now my coworker is upset and blaming me. Can a manager speak to my coworker about me like this and show her pictures of me and is she even allowed to take pictures of me without my permission?
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 7 months ago

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

Answer: Unfortunately, the employer has not violated any North Carolina laws by doing the things that you have described. I know it seems unfair and no right, but the law does not provide any protection for this type of incident between an employer and employee. I am sorry that I do not have better news for you, but hope it will not affect your rating of my services.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.