Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I just contacted this site about a question regarding a

Customer Question
I just contacted this...

I just contacted this site about a question regarding a Missouri contractor being demoted to a lower position

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It is at will full time. I am a government COR. We have a federal contract. An employee was hired on at a higher labor category but could not perform the work. He has now been moved to a lower labor category on the federal contract. Each labor category has a specific pay rate. Can this contractors pay be demoted to match the labor category

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that is enough - pretty straight forward

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 4 days by:
12/10/2017
Employment Lawyer: lawyerJ, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
lawyerJ
lawyerJ, Lawyer

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm a licensed attorney. I'm reviewing your question and will respond shortly. Please note, all information is provided for educational purposes only.

Yes - unless it's otherwise provided by the employee's contract, an employee who is demoted is entitled to the minimum payable rate of basic pay for the lower grade.

In Missouri, an employer may reduce an employee’s wages, providing the employee is given a 30-day advance written notice of a reduction in wages. This notice requirement does not apply if an employee is asked to work fewer hours or changes to a different position with different duties. Because the employee in question has been changed to a different position with different duties, the notice requirement wouldn't apply and you'd be able to pay the employee less based on their new position.

If I've fully answered your question, I'd appreciate a five-star rating. If not, please let me know how else I can assist you.