Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Is payment of wages required to a person who holds and H1-

Customer Question
Is payment of wages...

Is payment of wages required to a person who holds and H1-B visa in order for that visa to remain valid, if the person is not laid off or otherwise terminated?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time. Florida is an "at will" state though.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The employee has an employment agreement

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/6/2017
Employment Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Under immigration law, the required wage must be paid to the H1B worker free and clear. Bonuses that are not guaranteed to the worker cannot be used to satisfy the wage requirements. The employer may not factor in the value of benefits offered to the worker, such as health insurance, to meet the wage requirements.Also, the employer must continue to pay the H1B worker’s salary, even if the worker is benched – that is, if the employer does not have work for the employee for a period of time. Further, such salary payments typically must continue through the validity period of the H1B petition unless the H1B worker is unavailable or unable to work, or if there is a bona fide termination of employment.I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars so that I will receive credit and payment for assisting you with your question. Remember we as attorneys are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid unless you rate the question.
KLAW
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer