Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I resigned from a job that I had been at for 5 years. My…

Customer Question
I resigned from a...

I resigned from a job that I had been at for 5 years. My team led the region for 4 of the 5 years exceeding budget by over 120% each year. I worked for a “bully” that made my counterparts uncomfortable as well as making it difficult to perform at a high level. My boss called on the phone one day cursing and yelling about me not being on a conf. call that I was not invited to.I proceeded to tell him that he was not going to talk to me that way for any reason as well as what I and others thought of him. He then came to town the following week and we had the same conversation in person. He knew he couldn’t fire me because I had done nothing wrong,so he put me on a totally unachievable PIP stating that if not met in 90 days I would be terminated. I gave it back without signing. He was very cold and did not always include me in certain things. He wrote in the PIP that our dealer business was down and it was all my fault. We had just had a monthly call with our Pres. and he stated that the entire company was $3.5m behind budget YTD. This was in May. I was still 124% over budget even with the downturn. He did everything he could to make me quit which after 2 months I did. I found out this had all been planned. I tried calling HR(No response)I sent my letter of resignation to the CEO and COO(No response)My boss then came into town and asked what was I going to do? I gave 3 weeks notice.I replied that I was going to do my job up until my last day. He said I don’t see any value in that. I turned in all company property and left. This is all retaliation. I had planned on retiring from this company. He also stated that I was up for a promotion to RVP but was going to have a hard time now.I did not respond. Thoughts?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sorry...Dallas,Texas.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

This is an “at will”state

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He had been terminated from the company before for these tactics. I am told he was worse then.(hard to believe) I am a 61 y/o professional that is pretty thick skinned,but I will allow no one to abuse me. He did this regularly to my counterparts because he knew they would take it.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/6/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Good evening and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

I am very sorry that this all happened. Unfortunately, however, nothing you have described suggests any unlawful conduct on the part of the employer. It is not illegal to treat employees unfairly or disrespectfully, ***** ***** or bully as you describe. Such treatment only becomes unlawful when it relates directly to a legally protected trait such as your race or religion (i.e. yelling racial slurs), in which case it becomes actionable under our civil rights laws.

It is not illegal to force an employee out by putting them on an impossible PIP because employment is "at will" absent an agreement to the contrary and as such can be terminated for literally no reason at all. Since you could simply be terminated for no reason (even if this would be hard for your boss to justify politically within the company), your boss can put you on an arbitrary and impossible PIP to eliminate you by that means to achieve the same result. You were free to resign at any time, but again since employment was at will your employer was free to end the employment relationship before the day you gave as your last.

Honestly this sounds like a horrible person to have worked for and it's certainly for the best that you have decided to move on. I truly wish there were other legal options but I hope you will appreciate receiving an honest and direct answer so that you can move forward here.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....