Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Our employee handbook states that lip, nose or eyebrow rings…

Customer Question
Our employee handbook states...

Our employee handbook states that lip, nose or eyebrow rings are not allowed in the workplace. We have our employees sign off on this. One employee decided to push the issue with wearing a nose ring. I have asked her to remove it on several different occasions which she reluctantly complied with. Last weekend she had it in again and I asked her to remove it and she responded that "it's permanent so get over it". She did not remove the ring. Can I write her up legally for this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

Verbal warning only thus far but the policy has been consistently applied to several different employees with no issues. We are a small business and do not have FT HR.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/6/2017
Employment Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Unless she is wearing the ring for religious reasons, you can write her up or terminate her legally for refusing to follow the dress code. You can also write her up or terminate her for insubordination, based on the way she told you that she refused to remove it. She could have stated her reasons for wanting to keep it, or asked for an exception. "Get over it" is not a professional response when being told you've violated employment rules.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer