Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I had a quarterly bonus plan at work. After no mention of it…

Customer Question
I had a quarterly...

I had a quarterly bonus plan at work. After no mention of it for 3 quarters, I asked my boss (also a co owner) he said he would make it right. I asked for a promissory note. He became angry, laughed at me and said NO. His behavior toward me from that moment on became angry, very critical, I was demoted, almost unbearable. I was fired yesterday. I was told they were doing away with my position. I feel used and abused. I have been told that this is a pattern, not to pay bonuses and get rid of people that ask about it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in Mississippi. It is a mostly remote company. THe main office is in TX, the owners live in Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No mam

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/5/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. This appears to be a classic breach of contract if you were owed bonuses but they didn't pay. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because they have some state-specific breach of contract forms that you can use as well. Click here to choose your state and get started.

You may also want to consider a wage theft lawsuit as well with the state of MS. They have the authority to force them to pay up.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?