Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I'm small business owner. My full time employee was absent…

Customer Question
I'm small business owner. My full...
I'm small business owner.
My full time employee was absent with note for 2 days due to dog surgery. I offered extra 2 days to make sure she can work next week(busy holiday). I texted two times to her to make sure she can work from next Monday. She replied "Okay."
On Monday she's supposed to work from 11am-7pm. She didn't show up at 11am and texted not until 5pm. I interviewed new person and hired him because I think she quit voluntarily. She wanted work for my store but I already hired and gave schedule for everybody. I suggested part time because she cried. Frankly speaking, I don't need her because I already have 2 fulltime and one part time. Can I just let her go without offering part time?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/5/2017
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 7 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with extensive labor law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: Washington is an at-will employment state. That means that either you or the employer can terminate the employment relationship at any time for any reason or no reason at all. The limitation is that employers cannot terminate an employee for an illegal reason, such as discrimination or retaliation for exercising an employee's legal right.

Therefore, you may terminate an employee without providing cause for the termination and without offering part-time work.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

1. If this full time employee applies for unemployment benefit and ask if I'm willing to hire her again, can I still say "no" without reason?
2. She threatened me that she would sue me. Is it possible?
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 7 months ago

1. Yes.

2. This is always a difficult question to answer. Can she sue? Yes. You can always sue in America, even if you have no case. However, from the information you provided, it does not seem that she has any grounds for a suit that has any merit. Therefore, she would likely not prevail at a suit.