Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I'm small business owner. My full time employee was absent…

Customer Question
I'm small business owner. My full...
I'm small business owner.
My full time employee was absent with note for 2 days due to dog surgery. I offered extra 2 days to make sure she can work next week(busy holiday). I texted two times to her to make sure she can work from next Monday. She replied "Okay."
On Monday she's supposed to work from 11am-7pm. She didn't show up at 11am and texted not until 5pm. I interviewed new person and hired him because I think she quit voluntarily. She wanted work for my store but I already hired and gave schedule for everybody. I suggested part time because she cried. Frankly speaking, I don't need her because I already have 2 fulltime and one part time. Can I just let her go without offering part time?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/5/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

There would be no obligation to offer part time work. The leave is not for a reason that is legally protected in any way, so you are free to terminate or modify the employment relationship at any time, assuming you don't have a contract which expressly states to the contrary. The fact you initially offered part time work does not change this. Again, since employment can be terminated or modified at any time, you would be free to rescind the part time offer "at will."

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Were you able to view my answer? I am online, awaiting your response....