Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am going to be working as a trainee for an existing window…

Customer Question
Hello, I am going...

Hello, I am going to be working as a trainee for an existing window cleaning company in California. I will be paying the company for this training, I will not be getting paid as an employee. The reason for the training is that I am opening my own window cleaning business. My question is this: Do I need to be covered by workman's comp while I am being trained, or can I have my own business with my own general liability insurance that would cover me and the company that is training me in case I am injured? Thank you for your response. - Matt

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It is actually a training agreement wherein I will be paying him to train me so that I can open my own business. I will not be getting paid. After the training period I will open my own business and he will refer overflow business to me on a fee split bases.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My overall question is do we need workman's comp to have me covered in the event of injury on a job site that his business is contracted for? Or can I have my own business open with my own general liability insurance and be covered as a sub contractor?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/4/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a CA licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Hello, I am going to be working as a trainee for an existing window cleaning company in California. I will be paying the company for this training, I will not be getting paid as an employee. The reason for the training is that I am opening my own window cleaning business. My question is this: Do Ineed to be covered by workman's comp while I am being trained, or can I have my own business with my own general liability insurance that would cover me and the company that is training me in case I am injured? Thank you for your response. - Matt

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

no please respond in writing

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review…

Are you still there?

You bet. Slow typer. One moment!

Ok, thank you very much for your patience. So, if you are going to be a trainee for this company, but you are paying them, then you aren't going to be considered an employee; if anything, you're going to be considered an independent contractor or even just a student or a "member," however they may classify it. So, the answer is no, you won't need to be covered by worker's compensation while you are being trained. You can have your own business with your own liability insurance as well and that should cover you should you get injured while you are training.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Does apply to California?

Yes, it applies to California. Only if you are an employee are you entitled to some worker's compensation. If your'e not an employee, but just a trainee, then you're not entitled and I'd strongly recommend looking toward getting your own insurance.

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further before you rated. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know.