Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Im not really sure why i was found ineligilbe for

Customer Question
Im not really sure...

Im not really sure why i was found ineligilbe for unemployment

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

I worked at this job for 2 years and before that i was on unemployment in 2011

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It was part time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I worked for a home care agency

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/4/2017
Employment Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

I read your facts. Is there a specific question with which I can assist?

I looked at my unemployment determination and it says i am indefinitely ineligible. Im confused as to why that is

There are a number of reasons why someone could be ineligible for unemployment. Probably the most common is that the person didn't work for long enough to accumulate enough quarters to qualify. In the home health business, the reason is often is because the worker was paid as an independent contractor instead of an employee. It is also not unusual for the unemployment office to simply make a mistake and not credit the proper hours to the correct person. ]

Any of these reasons can be addressed and appealed, if incorrect, at the unemployment office. At that point they would reconsider the denial of benefits. Normally on the denial of benefitis letter which you mentioned they will list the specific reason benefits are denied. If they didn't do that then the first step is to contact them and ask them why the benefits were denied, specifically. Once you know that you will know whether you should file an appeal or whether their reason is correct.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

I am about to go offline for the evening. I may get a chance to check back in or I may not. Regardless, I will be back online tomorrow morning so if you have any follow up questions please ask them in this thread and I will answer them as soon as I see them. If you haven't issued a Positive Rating yet I would encourage you to do so now. Issuing a Positive Rating will prevent the question from timing out and closing and will lock it open so it can be accessed and the Q and A can continue at any time from this evening or even a year or more from now.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer