Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

We had a worker work for us in Mississipp an LLC based out…

Customer Question
We had a worker...

We had a worker work for us in Mississipp an LLC based out of Louisiana, he was paid their and the bank he was paid from was in Mississippi the production was shot down do to lack of funding I was just a higherd producer on the film and he has filed a case in california, I did think california could get involved?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The work was in Mississippi, he worked in Mississippi and was paid their, he lives in California, and now filed a labor case here but did not work here in california where he filed the case.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Just for one job a film, not sure what at will means.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can he hold me liable just because I was the producer on the film, I had a contract jut like him.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/4/2017
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

His claim is against the company. Also, he is a contractor, not an employee so it is purely a contractual claim against the hiring company.

Please let me know if my reply is acceptable by responding "yes"

I believe he was an employee for just the one film, but the film was closed down due to lack of funds, would that still be a loan out and why could he file a clam in California and not Mississippi, California has no Jurisdiction do they?

He would file where the company is located and it is a contractor claim, not employment so does not reach individuals who never contracted with him.

I hope that is fast and acceptable. Kindly let me know. tried to expedite.

Kindly let me know, thanks.