Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My company decided to shutdown our US office in Chicago. The…

Customer Question
Hi - My company decided...
Hi - My company decided to shutdown our US office in Chicago. The company is based in the UK and now have no US location. They accidentally double paid me my final paycheck and now asking me to repay them. The amount is $8K. Can they come after me and would it even be worth doing so from overseas as a small company?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/4/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

The money that you were accidentally paid belongs to your employer and they absolutely could sue you to get it back. Whether they would actually do this is more difficult to say, since they are not based in the U.S. Stil, many companies will pursue legal action in these circumstances on principle alone. It would not take much effort for your employer to retain a local IL attorney and sue you in IL court for the money, interest, and even what are called punitive damages. These are damages above and beyond the actual financial losses suffered by your employer which your employer would be entitled to if they can prove that you acted willfully and maliciously in not returning the money to them. Another thing to consider, if it matters to you, is that you will burn any bridges that you have with this employer, and if they are contacted for a reference you can bet that they are going to mention the fact that you have $8,000 of their money. There is no law which would prohibit them from mentioning this. The damage to your employment prospects that this could cause could conceivably result in financial harm to you much greater than $8,000. So again, this is another thing to consider.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer