Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

In Texas, is it acceptable for one to collect unemployment…

Customer Question
In Texas, is it...

In Texas, is it acceptable for one to collect unemployment benefits when a severance has been issued. The contents of the severance indicated that I am eligible for unemployment.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Tx unemployment commission started paying me and stopped when I received my severance monies.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/4/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Texas law prohibits does prohibit individuals from qualifying for unemployment benefits while receiving severance pay. Also, you are obligated to report wages and severance pay received while receiving unemployment benefits.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels and incurring liability.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!