Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I'm a co worker for u.n.f.i we work 10 hour shift. I want to…

I'm a co worker...

I'm a co worker for u.n.f.i we work 10 hour shift. I want to ask is 17 hours is to long to work back to back on both days? Is that legal

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Fulltime

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes.... when I mention back to back. ..... that was on Monday n Tuesday. Then on Wednesday they say I poor performance n they fired me. I told them I didn't have to rest plus didn't feel right.

12/4/2017
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

I truly wish I could tell you otherwise, but there is no law against requiring an employee to work back-to-back demanding shifts like this. Furthermore, since employment is "at will" absent an agreement to the contrary, it is not illegal in Texas to terminate an employee for poor performance, even if that performance issue is stemming from being overworked. It makes almost no sense for an employer to do this, since they are now going to have to spend time and money hiring a replacement and a replacement will be similarly unable to work so hard on back to back shifts, but it is not against the law to be bad at management. You should qualify for unemployment benefits as you look for a new job.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

I work there for 18years n never had a bad performance. I was looking for normal regulation in the company. For example, verbal warning, written, or final but they went straight to fire. Will that be a lawsuit

Unfortunately, a company's own policies cannot be legally enforced against itself. Courts interpret policies as a company's own internal guidelines for best practices with no legal effect. Let me as you this: Do you believe there is any ULTERIOR motivation by your employer here? Termination for the reasons you are describing after working for so long makes absolutely no sense at all, so it makes me think there might be something else going on here. Is that possible?

Thank u

You are very welcome. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (using the stars at the top of the page) so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes and happy holidays to you.

Patrick, Esq.

Are you still with me?