Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

Can employer administer corrective action for same

Customer Question

Can employer administer corrective action for same infraction? Is double jeopardy legal regarding discipline by employer?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: MN
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: We have voted yes to union (94%) and are in contract negotiations (of which I am a member of committee)
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this time
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 11 months ago.
This is a civil matter and internal to the employer and its policies. Normally it’s internal policies would not permit double pubmishment and can be challenged internally as mistaken. If needed, martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, it's not. I need to know if there is precedence or specific ruling I can use that shows double punishment is illegal or easily challenged. I was willing to pay for that answer...not: "here's some websites, look it up yourself". I'm already aware of these websites, thank you.
There is no such legal authority. It is not subject to court review as company has discretion in how it applies internal policies.
Double jeopardy is inapplicable. Company can reprimand at will even if mistaken.
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”