Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My license was suspended for 6 months due to me having a…

Customer Question
My license was suspended...

My license was suspended for 6 months due to me having a seizure. Nj just sent me a letter saying if I agree to a conditional restoration of being monitored for 2 yrs at 6 months intervals, I can get my license restored. If not it is suspended indefinitely. For one by the time I send this letter back to them and they respond to me I will be without a license for well over 7 months. Further more my doctor"s schedule for seeing me is 6 months (from Oct. 11), then 1 yr, 18 months ect.

Lawyer's Assistant: License regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?

NJ

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes I had my seizure back in May.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/3/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Licenses to drive are considered by the court to be a privilege and not a right, which means the states can control the conditions under which they are issued. If your license was suspended for a medical reason, the state has a right to place conditions upon restoration and require a medical doctor to attest to DMV that the medical condition that caused the suspension is now under control and you may safely operate a vehicle. The monitoring will not begin with the state until you agree to their terms, so you saying that it is 2 years at 6 month intervals means that does not start until you accept the terms and you would need to adjust your appointments with your doctor and show him the information from the state so he knows he will have to submit information to the state about your ability to safely operate a vehicle.

Without that, they will refuse to reissue the license.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney