Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can I sue department of corrections for work place violence…

Customer Question
Can I sue department...

Can I sue department of corrections for work place violence seven years later even though I’m still suffering?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I still work there but I don’t work for DOCCS; I work for office of mental health. I was harassed by my ex boyfriend a correctional officer who still works there; I had a restraining order against him and continued to be harassed inside the facility for two years

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/3/2017
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
You will face a statute of limitation defense. You may want to still have a lawyer see if an out of court Settlement can be reached based on what happened. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
No, not acceptable. I thought I would get more for $38.00. It was a generic answer, probably wasn’t talking to a lawyer then
You asked if it’s timely. It is not. I went on to offer a second option of trying to settle out of court.
The prison should want to avoid bad press.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
No, not acceptable.
what more can I answer for you?