Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am an LPN with a lot of experience that a lot of other…

Customer Question
Hi, I am an...

Hi, I am an LPN with a lot of experience that a lot of other LPNs do not. I'm extremely reliable - I'm constantly told by my patients that I'm the best nurse they have. So here's my situation: at my previous job there were 2 patients that had PRN orders for narcotics. One of the residents had verbally told myself & other staff that continued to forget to ask for his pain meds.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

So I began asking him of his pain & administered the prn narc. However, many of the other nurses would not ask him about his pain or offer his prn of he needed. So naturally in the narc book it looks as I'm the only one giving him his prn. The 2nd patient was newer to the facility & also had a prn order for narcs. She repeatedly told me that her legs hurt. I assisted with changing position & asked her if she'd like something for the pain, she answered yes. This was over the course of a wkend & of I remember correctly, she received 4 throughout 2 days & again, looks as I'm the only one administering the narc.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

So nightshift arrived to relief me. We counted narcs as usual & there were no discrepancies. So the next morning when dayshift arrived she had noticed that one of the sheets from the narc book was missing. Which like I said, the night before all papers & narcs were accounted for & no discrepancies with the narc book. So I get called from the DON &dministrator asking me to call them ASAP due to an issue. Well at this time I was having a lot of problems with my cellphone. So I didn't get back to them till the next day. Do I speak with both ladies & their asking me about the night I counted & asked about the missing sheet. I explained that I did not remove or add any narcs during my shift. She then proceedd to tell me that one specific card of oxycodone had been tampered with by placing an unknown pill into a few popped

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes...I'm still typing...

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Out spots & the unknown medication was taped into the missing spots. I continued to explain that the night before all papers were accounted for & that myself or the other nurse that was actually counting the cards had no issues as well during our shift change. So then management continued to state that I'm the only one ever administering these 2 specific narcs to the exact same patients. O completed a urine drug test & it's wasn100% negative, however I was still terminated due to not following the levels of pain & just giving narc pain meds.onwas also told that the police were notified as well since there were narcs missing. A few days later I start receiving calls & voice messages from a compliance agent from the Ohio Board of Nursing & that I was in the middle of a complaint. He stated that it would be in my best interest to corporate if I wish to continue in nursing. I still have not spoke with the agent due to being told I should speak to an attorney first. I'm not sure where to go from here, but this is causing me a great deal of anxiety, especially, & I can not stress this enough...I did not divert narcs from that facility!
I felt very much put on the spot & definitely felt accused! This specific card of narcs had went threw 2 other ppl till this situation was raised.
In 6 1/2 yrs of my nursing career, I have never been talked to, written up, suspended or accused of anything in regards ***** ***** I've had nothing but glowing reviews from employers & from patients.
In the mean time, I have not heard from the board since 11/2/17, nor have I received anything via mail. I'm really not sure what to do at this point. Naturally, I'm very nervous that I could lose my license that I worked extremely hard to get for something I did not do! I do not use, sell or whatever else with any kind of drug. Not only is that something I would not do, but I also have A LOT to loose. I'm a single mom to a 14month old & work extremely hard not just cause I absolutely love my job, but I do it for my daughter too.
Again, I'm just lost for words in regards ***** ***** entire situation & don't know what to expect next or when? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Julie
I'm now finished....I will anxiously await your response!
My wait time has stayed at 8 min for over a 1/2 hr. Is there anyway someone can let me know when my question will be addressed? Thank you, Julie
Can anyone tell me how much longer it would be until I receive a response? Thank you
12/3/2017
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 4 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Do you have any advice for me or what I may expect?

Your post is very long. I am reviewing it. Kindly give me time to review and prepare my response.

I understand that your anxious. However, you need to give me opportunity to review your post.

I will appreciate it if you can refrain posting at this time because every time you post, it interrupts my review process.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You can return the call of the agent from the Ohio Board of Nursing just to state that you need a hearing set for you so that you can defend yourself. That's all you need to say. Once the hearing is set, you would need to retain the services of a local Attorney who handles license suspension cases to assist you with the case. You should never go to the hearing with Board of Nursing without an Attorney present. You should also never respond to any inquiries from the Board of Nursing without an Attorney assisting you with the response because your license is in jeopardy. When narcotics are alleged missing, that is a very serious offense especially in light of the opioid crises.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

As for your termination, you can appeal it with your Human Resources Department ("HR"). There should be a process set up for appeal. You need ask your HR about the procedure.

Goodluck with your case,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law