Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am an employer who pays my employees above the minimum…

Customer Question
I am an employer who...
I am an employer who pays my employees above the minimum hourly wage in my state. We also allow employees to accept tips, and distribute them to all eligible employees based on total number of hours worked.Employees in food service sometimes don't give 2 weeks notice. They just stop showing up. We do our best to avoid this, but it happens. What I want to know is: Can I have a policy that if you leave your job without a certain notice period, that you will forfeit your tips in your last pay check.Please note, my employees are not "tipped" employees, as in they already make an hourly wage that is above the minimum (we pay $12/hour).Also, can I retroactively reduce wages to the minimum ($11) if an employee leaves with no notice, as long as they know that is the deal when we hire them?I am looking for some leverage to encourage employees to give notice when leaving.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/2/2017
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
You cannot have such a policy. The employee needs to be paid in full through days worked all wages and tips. Otherwise you risk being sued and reported to the labor department for violation of state law and the federal fair labor standards act.
Tried to expedite.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy Holidays!
if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.
Infolawyer, Lawyer