Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My husband is a retired accountant. He has worked throughout…

Customer Question
My husband is a...

My husband is a retired accountant. He has worked throughout this year for a CPA as a " contract employee". The CPA owes my husband $6,000 in wages and won't pay,or take my husband's call.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It's been part-time, at will.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/2/2017
Employment Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

1) If your husband was an "employee" and received a W2 he can file a complaint with the Workforce Commission:

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/files/jobseekers/form-ll-1-wage-claim-twc.pdf

He can also file the complaint iif he should have been treated as an employee. This means that he had set hours and was directed in his work by the employer.

2) If your husband worked as an "independent contractor" - meaning that he controlled his own hours and directed hos own work - THEN your husband can sue the employer in the county Justice of the Peace (Small Claims0 Court.

See:

https://www.depts.ttu.edu/sls/forms/How-to-Sue-in-Small-Claims-Court.pdf

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney