Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was out on disability, returned part time and now my

Customer Question
I was out on...

I was out on disability, returned part time and now my employer is insisting I stay out on full time disability until I’m ready to return full time?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pa

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

72 hrs bi weekly

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not for now

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/2/2017
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Unfortunately, unless you can show that the employer allows others to work part time, and the only reason you aren't being allowed is due to race, religion, gender, age or FMLA use (making you different from the ones allowed to work part time returning from disability), there isn't anything illegal here.

Nothing under the ADA (American's with Disabilities Act) requires an employer to create a part time position to allow people to return to work sooner.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer