Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Regarding potential wrongful termination. My company just…

Customer Question
Regarding potential wrongful termination...

Regarding potential wrongful termination. My company just fired me without warning and without giving a reason. I did sign At Will agreement. I live in CO and my company's legal HQ in CA. I was a manger and exposed and implemented a fairly length documented process to terminate employees. Two questions; 1. Does CA laws apply and 2. is this potentially Implied Contract violation

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in CO. My company legal HQ in California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will. No Union. Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/1/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

The state in which you are employed and perform your work is the state which laws will govern. That said, it probably doesn't matter whether CO or CA law applies because in either case employment is presumed to be at will be default and as such can be terminated without warning or reason. Nothing you have posted suggests a contract violation. In fact, to the contrary, you appear to have signed an agreement affirming the fact that your employment is at will.

I truly wish I had better news to give, but I hope this answers your question. If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....