Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My job has been terminated due to the sale of the company. I…

Customer Question
My job has been...

My job has been terminated due to the sale of the company. I was verbally offered 6 months severance as long as I stayed on thru the sale. The sale was to close 12/4. Prior to any of this happening I had approved time off for a week at Xmas. The sale has now been pushed and I am forced to stay on potentially 2 more months and they have revoked my approved vacation in which I have non refundable travel costs. I was told if I take a vacation my severance package is no longer available to me. Is this legal.? They also said I am not allowed to seek other employment until I am no longer working here... but there seems to be no end in site for the close of the company... can they keep me in limbo?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will I believe. I am a full time exempt employee

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I also have a disability... bipolar disorder and have expressed that the stress from this is causing me many issues. And it does not seem to matter. They say I am their best worker and they need me.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/1/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

No, this would not be legal. You would have a a claim for breach of contract (contracts are still enforceable even if they are only verbal), and detrimental reliance. Your employer would need to negotiate additional incentives with you to get you to stay longer. They would generally be liable to pay the bonus, and liable for any costs you suffered in reliance on their promise, such as sunk vacation costs.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Thank you very much. Are you local if I would need to hire you?

You are very welcome. Unfortunately, I am unable to represent customers from this website, so you would need to contact someone local in your area. Here is a directory you can use for that purpose.

Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (using the stars at the top of the page) so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes.

Was there anything else I can do for you before we wrap up?