Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Ms.. I was recently let go from my condominium site manager…

Customer Question
Hello ms. Wilson. I...

Hello ms. Wilson. I was recently let go from my condominium site manager position after 17 years of being on 24/7 emergency call as well as the normal 40 hour week. Their reason was job elimination. My position as well as two assistants. They notified me in person on Wednesday morning and gave me a check that covered my normal pay for that complete week. I've been on salary for the past two years at a take home pay of $775.00 per week. My question would be about whether I should or could be entitled to any severance pay?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nys rochester

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Idk

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/1/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid that unless you have a written contract saying you are entitled to severance, there is no NY law providing that you must receive severance upon termination. Severance is at the discretion of the employer and if the employer does not want to provide severance, they do not have to do so.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Thank you for your quick response. Though it's not the answer I was hoping for, I do accept and understand. If I were ever to give every day of my life for seventeen years to another company in my short time I have left on this earth, I now know to ask for a contract at time of hiring that would include a severance package! Live and learn as they say!!

Thank you for your reply

It is a shame that there is no loyalty of employers to employees anymore. However, that is what society has turned into.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney