Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was harassed on the job like so many others.. I was

Customer Question
I was harassed...

I was harassed on the job like so many others.. I was intimidated!!!! How do I find a good lawyer to help me ? He was my supervisor and we worked for the same govt agency.. his intimidation and threats caused me to have a stroke...and l I have never been the same...help!; can I stillsue after 20 years?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

FEDERAL JOB....live in Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

No federal union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Fulltime

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/1/2017
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and I am sorry to read about your situation. Unfortunately, what the current news is not explaining to people is that although people, especially those in the public eye, might lose their jobs over very old or past complaints of sexual, or other harassment, that doesn't create a right to sue.

With employment discrimination issues, which includes harassment, the window of time for filing suit is very short. First the person only has 300 days from the date of the last harassing act to file a complaint with the EEOC, which is necessary before one can file suit, then there is a short time 90 days after receiving a right to sue letter from the EEOC to sue.

That means that 20 years is many years beyond the running of the legal statute of limitations and a suit cannot be filed. If this person is still employed by the Federal Government you can certainly send them a letter with the details and perhaps they have a pattern of behavior on this part that could lead to his termination, but again, no right to sue either him or the Government.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could reply to the answer and let me know that I covered your question, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Goof info

You're very welcome.

Not acceptable cancel my subscription to any further charges

Not sure what wasn't "acceptable." As you likely know, I don't write the laws, but can only provide you with the information about what the laws state, which I have. I also don't have any control over your personal situation, thus my confusion about what wasn't acceptable. In any event, I don't work for the Site so I have no access to your financial information or payment information. Therefore, you will need to contact customer service for any assistance as to your payment.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer