Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

When I am terminated, can a company terminate my benefits…

Customer Question
When I am terminated, can...
When I am terminated, can a company terminate my benefits immediately also?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/1/2017
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for your question. As a general rule, yes, an employer may terminate benefits effective the day of the termination. That said, if there are insurance policies at play, then the language of the Summary Plan Description, which summarizes the rules under the Policy Plan controls the end date of benefits. In other words, then SPD should say what happens to benefits upon termination of employment.

Sometimes, an insurance policy will stay in effect until the end of that month's premium period. But again, the policy will say. If the employee is going to want to elect COBRA coverage for insurance, then once they receive those rights, which under the law can be up to 44 days for the Plan administrator to send, and elect coverage, their policy will be backdated to the last day that their regular employee coverage was in effect.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box on this page of my efforts to provide you with the information you asked for, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 1st. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer