Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was recently told I was terminated on my job on November…

Customer Question
Hi I was recently...

Hi I was recently told I was terminated on my job on November 17, 2017 and later that day my staff told me I was not terminated/fired that my job was still there if I wanted to come back. Then I received a certified letter from my supervisor on November 27th stating I was on suspension without pay depending on whether I appeal and her decision on my dismissal. What are my rights and options?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was verbally told I was terminated. I did not receive anything in writing. I turned in my ID & keys. Later that day, my staff met with the City Manager who shared with them that I was not fired/terminated and my job was still there if I wanted to come back. Then I get a letter from my supervisor stating I am on suspension without pay. Further, I did get paid today. I did not have any written warnings or any write ups.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/1/2017
Employment Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Do you have an employment contract? Or is there any sort of handbook that says they have to give warnings or write-ups before firing someone?

Tina, Lawyer