Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Ive read the answer I need thank you. Nj is a one party

Customer Question
Ive read the answer...

Ive read the answer I need thank you. Nj is a one party consent state. Therefore as I work at a public store I can use my spy pen cam to record any conversation with vidio so long as the expectation of privacy does not exist. IE: Recording on the store floor is NOT a place where privacy can be expected. Boss look out lol. I got him. But thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nj

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Just want to make sure I am correct. I can record covertly as long as in public at work. Not in places where privacy is expected or with malcontent.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/1/2017
Employment Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Thank you for your patience as I located the actual statute for your review; you are correct in that NJ follows the federal law codified at 18 USC 2511(2)(d) which only requires one party to a conversation to consent to the recording, and that may include the recording party's consent.

This is codified in NJ at code 2A:156A-3, 4-please see:

ftp://www.njleg.state.nj.us/20002001/S1000/577_i1.pdf

If a person has a reasonable expectation of privacy as you pointed out then that may result in separate issues such as invasion of privacy, intrusion on seclusion etc.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer