Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I got let go from my job today and I'm wondering if this…

Customer Question
I got let go...

I got let go from my job today and I'm wondering if this falls under wrongful termination or if I have any rights whatsoever.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I'm in Pennsylvania, but my employer is in Florida. I worked remotely.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I'm not certain if it's at will, but I was a full time employee.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes - earlier this month I had made a statement about going to Europe because my position was remote. From there, they told me that was not allowed and the next day revoked my remote work. I was forced to show up at a shared workspace by myself M-F 9am-6pm. My supervisor would meet me still 1-2x a week there. I was upset by this because the reason I signed on was because it was remote. After that, I asked my supervisor to at least get me a desk at a shared workspace so I could work efficiently. I found out the CEO didn't want to dish out the money. I pressed this issue and was let go this morning. All my supervisor told me was "It wasn't the right fit". On October 24th, my supervisor told me everything looked good for my formal 3 month review - now apparently my work isn't up to their standards? I just find it coincidental and want to know if I have a case. This is also one week shy of me collecting unemployment.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/1/2017
Employment Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You aren't going to like this, but unless you are a governmental employee or are under an employment contract, all employment in PA is considered "at will". What this means is that an employee can quit or an employer can fire or change the terms of employment (change hours, location, duties, pay, etc.) at any time for any or no reason at all.

.

While what the employer did was inequitable and unfair, it was not illegal. Wrongful termination only comes into play if you were terminated for being part of a protected class (gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, national origin).

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

Barrister, Lawyer