Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am being bullied by my staff member who is making things…

Customer Question
I am being bullied...

I am being bullied by my staff member who is making things up in anonymous venues. We can tell it is her and she is is saying bad that are going to the top CEO . HR supports staff not mgrs and go by perception not evidence and said HR rules don't apply to mgrs and policies i enforce are guidelines but written as policies. What are my rights to know what has been said about me , the mtgs they have had and to have new HR people handle my file or an outside company. Can they fire me if I get a lawyer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They never hear my side. This lady is no longer under me so she is mad that her job is gone as she was the top in that area. she has gotten several people to complain and i met with them all and it was one sided info was said to me, I was to listen I was given info 20 mins before the mtgs so could prepare.staff was to keep it confidential and they didn't HR didn't hold them accountable, they gave me trouble for following rules. they never ask for my side or notes and don't tell me what people say, just its their perception. The HR mgr has treated me bad in the past and is determined to get me The truth there but they don't want it. In the past I gave neg feedback to a staff and she cried to the HR mgr saying I was bullying her, she was shaking but has a shaking issue. They won't hear my side and then is was dropped so she is always looking for things on me

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/1/2017
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

If you are talking about employment situations, there is no legally recognized right to information in an investigation or to know what is being said about you. There is no due process, imposed by state or federal law, when it comes to a private employer.

If you are union, then your contract may have some rights otherwise establish. If you're a government employee, then you have a right to ask for the information.

They can fire you if you have a lawyer. Attorneys are not silver bullets in these situations. We can just be generally helpful.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.