Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have been working for a mental health facility for 4

Customer Question
I have been working...

I have been working for a mental health facility for 4 years, in the past month I have been accused of false accusations, has been harassed by co workers, has been threatened by my boss to fire me if she hear anything else regarding me, in the 4 years that I been working at Vista Pacifica Center this has never happened until now, after I had to talk to some of my subordinates about going and returning from breaks on time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This ordeal has been very stressful for me, my blood pressure has been elevated like never before, I have been having sleepless nights, only because I am innocent, and I was not told when, where, or the time it happened

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/1/2017
Employment Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help if I can. Do you have any specific questions about this situation? I just want to make sure that I understand what legal information you are seeking. Thank you.

I want to know if I would be able to file a lawsuit for harassment and or false allegations that I was reprimanded for, without my boss investigating first, within the 4 years that I have been working there, I have never been written up for hear say

Hi again.

I don't have enough details to give you an educated opinion as to whether or not you have a viable case for harassment. You mentioned that you were harassed, but you did not elaborate. However, the next step for you is likely the same either way ... i.e., file a charge with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). The EEOC is responsible for investigating illegal discrimination and harassment in the workplace. Once the EEOC investigates, it could agree that you were illegally harassed, and attempt to work out a settlement with the employer. If the EEOC cannot work out a settlement, or if the EEOC does not find that there was illegal harassment, then you can request a right to sue letter, which gives you the right to sue your employer for violating the law.

You can file a charge by following the instructions found here: https://www.eeoc.gov/employees/charge.cfm

Does that answer your question(s)? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, and you haven't yet rated me, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.