Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Currently in negotiations with a cellular company for an…

Customer Question
Currently in negotiations with...

Currently in negotiations with a cellular company for an employee that breached my text messages and read them through their equipment. The cellular companies defense is he was a rogue employee that they did not authorize to access my account on company hours. They lowballed me an offer of $2K and it's gone up to $6K. The cellular company ignored the request until they were served a letter from the arbitration association. My gut tells me that the cellular company is liable for my privacy being violated. Laws were broken and the cellular company is responsible for not protecting me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

I did not work for the cellular company. I emailed them telling them I knew someone was reading my text messages and they did their investigating and told me my account was in fact accessed without my permission and they fired the individual.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It has to do with their employee accessing a consumers account without my consent.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am looking for a lawyer that knows corporate laws that can explain how the company has no liability for an employee that violated (my) customer privacy which led to a very difficult divorce due to his actions

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/1/2017
Employment Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
I’m really sorry to hear about that. Absolutely your privacy rights were violated. The company is liable under the theory of respondeat superior. Companies are liable for the acts of their employee. The one challenge is proving what your damages are.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, otherwise a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer